Home >> Real Estate Articles >> Facts To Know About Columbus, Ohio
Facts To Know About Columbus, Ohio
DID YOU KNOW These Facts About Our Great City – Columbus, Ohio
1. While Columbus, and Ohio in general, may seem minute compared to some other large cities, Columbus is actually the 15th largest city in the United States.
2. COSI (Center of Science and Industry) was named America’s #1 Science Center for families by Parents Magazine in 2008. This is a wonderful place to bring your kids, or to even just explore yourself!
3. Just this year (2014), FOX Sports Ohio's coverage of Columbus Blue Jackets hockey won the category for best live unedited sporting event.
4. The annual Doo Dah Parade is something you may not know about. It has been a tradition since 1983 to celebrate liberty, as well as lunacy, on the Fourth of July. Watch the parade and see the Emperor of the Short North and the King and Queen of Doo Dah.
5. In 2009 the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium was rated the #1 Zoo in the USA Travel Guide. It has many exhibits to explore as well as Zoombezi Bay, a great outdoor water park to enjoy during the summer.
6. Columbus is home to the largest Independence Day fireworks display in the Midwest! Red, White & BOOM is known for exciting performances, great food, a full parade and, of course, fireworks that you can see from miles away.
7. The Columbus Marathon is the 17th largest U.S. marathon and the largest in Ohio. It has been nominated by Runner’s World as one of the top 20 marathons in the nation as well as one of the top 10 Fall marathons by USA Today.
8. Columbus has any type of food that you could possibly want! Columbus was named in “Forbes” Travel Guide’s Five Secret Foodie Cities. Some of the hot spots mentioned are: Cameron Mitchell’s The Pearl, North Market, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams and Rigsby’s Kitchen. Go try them for yourself to see how truly delicious they are.
9. The Ohio State University ranks 16th among the nation’s best public universities according to U.S. News & World Report. The shoe seats 102,239 fans. Ohio Stadium ranks as the 3rd largest venue in college football and 6th largest non-racing stadium in the world.
10. In 2013, Columbus was named one of the MOST intelligent cities in the world. This is based off of the best in areas of broadband internet connectivity and usage, how well its workforce assesses and obtains information, how it helps businesses grow through technology and how well a city markets its advances in technology.
11. Character lives in on in the unique little town of German Village. German Village is definitely a top place to visit in Columbus, Ohio. It boasts gorgeous buildings and brick streets. In 1796 it was appropriated Refugee Lands for those who had supported the Colonial cause in the American Revolution. By 1865 most of the population was German and flourishing. It endured the anti-German discrimination and book burnings and finally by 1974 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
12. Columbus wasn’t always the capital of Ohio… Chillicothe was actually Ohio’s 1st state capital. Columbus became the state capital in 1816.
13. Columbus, Ohio was named after explorer Christopher Columbus who was the first European to make the New World widely known to Europeans. Columbus, Ohio is 1 of 23 places that are named after this historical man.
14. Christopher Columbus sailed the world on what was referred to as the “Santa Maria”, a “nao” or cargo ship. The world’s most authentic, museum-quality representation of this ship is located in Columbus, Ohio! (Currently, the Santa Maria is closed due to reconstruction of the Scioto River and the GreenWay Dam Project. She will reopen in Spring 2016)
15. The famous actor, (among many others), Josh Radner, is from Columbus. Josh Radner plays Ted Mosby in the hit series “How I Met Your Mother”. He was born and raised in Bexley, Ohio. In 2013, Josh gave a lecture at The Ohio State University. In an interview with The Lantern prior to his lecture, he said “It’s really nice to see how Columbus changes every time I come home. I think it’s much more dynamic. It feels like the whole city has really come into its own in a really nice way. So, I really love being from Columbus and I’m always happy to come back.”
People Also Read
CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Expert
A Certified Distressed Property Expert® is a real estate professional with specific understanding of the complex issues confronting the real estate industry, and the foreclosure avoidance options available to homeowners. Through comprehensive trainin...
Moving With Fido
We love our pets. In some households they're our "children." In others they are dear members of the family. How can you make the stressful time of moving an easy transition for your furry friends? Pets are routined creatures, not unlike their huma...
The Risks Of Selling A Property With A Tenant
If you want to sell your house with a tenant for the highest and best price, even the best tenant can be a detriment…. Why? It takes a lot of work and devotion to get the house show-ready and keep it that way during the entire listing period. Mos...
Knock That Contract Out
What does it mean to “knock out a contract”? A seller can accept a contract to sell their home with a variety of conditions attached and one of those is a contingency for the sale of the buyers’ home. In other words, the buyer must sell their curre...